Accessible contact methods

How to contact The Hampshire Constabulary if you are deaf, hard-of-hearing, speech impaired or struggle with our main contact methods.

We have several ways for our deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired or deafblind communities to contact us.  You can view this information, and more, in British Sign Language (BSL) on their YouTube channel.

If you not one of the above, but would find it difficult to use the phone to contact them, please consider registering for their Direct Access Line.

In an emergency

Call 18000 in an emergency to use the emergency Minicom TextRelay service.

Text 999 in an emergency.  You need to register for the service first - text 'register' to 999 and follow the instructions.  Visit emergencySMS for more information about the service.


If it is not an emergency, you can reach them by:

  • sending them a text message to +44 07781 480999
  • calling them using Minicom TextRelay on 18001 101
  • sending them a fax to 01962 874201

The Hampshire Constabularyhave recently been made aware that our non-emergency text number is registered in Guernsey. As a result, you may be charged for sending an international text message by your mobile operator. We recommend you check with your provider before texting. We are working with our suppliers to resolve this as soon as possible, and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Remember that text messages and faxes are not guaranteed to arrive quickly. You will know that your message is received when you get a reply. Try other ways to contact the emergency services until you get a reply.

So they can help you as quickly as possible, remember to tell them:

  • what the problem is
  • who you need - the police, the fire and rescue service, an ambulance or the coastguard
  • where you are - the name of the road and town.  If you can tell them more, such as the house number or landmarks (such as outside the post office, or near a bus station) it will help.

Police Link Officers for Deaf People

The Hampshire Constabulary have a number of police officers and staff who act as Police Link Officers for Deaf People (PLOD) who are available for advice and information.

Their Link Officers hold qualifications in British Sign Language and will use their skills to assist in enquiries and provide advice and information but do not provide interpreting for evidential procedures. They can also, subject to availability, make use of professional Lipspeakers. Ask an officer to contact one this is what you are used to.

You can contact PLOD by emailing [email protected]. They are also on Twitter as @HantsPolPLOD.

Further help and support

DeafHope - Project run by the Deaf Health Charity specifically designed to support people in the Deaf community suffering or at risk of domestic abuse.  Includes Youth DeafHope for young people.