Care and support plans

Care and support plans are for anyone who needs care or cares for someone else. It helps your family and friends understand how they can help you.  A care and support plan says:

  • the type of support you need
  • how this support will be given
  • how much money your council will spend on your care

How to get a care and support plan. First, you’ll need to contact social services at your local council.  (Contact details further down this page) They’ll speak to you about the problems you’re having. This is called an assessment. See here: 

Afterwards, the support you need is written up as a care and support plan. You should get a copy of this within a few weeks.

There are 2 types of assessment. One is for people who need care and the other is for people who care for someone else.

The local authority decides whether you need care and support to help you live your day-to-day life by using an assessment process. An assessment will recommend whether you or an elderly relative are likely to qualify for care support through the Council. A referral can then be sent to the Council if you believe a full assessment of care needs is required. This must be carried out by an appropriately trained assessor, for example a social worker or occupational therapist.

How does the authority determine who has eligible needs? The Care Act sets out the national minimum threshold for eligibility, which is the same across England.  Determining eligibility is important to work out whether the local authority must meet your needs for care and support. If you are eligible, based on these needs, then the authority will discuss your care and support plan with you. For a list of needs that may require care and support, please visit the Adult care eligibility page: 

Contact details for Southampton City Council social care

Adult Services
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 023 8083 3003
Address: Adult Social Care, Southampton City Council, Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY
Children and Families Services
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 023 8083 3014 between 10am - 12noon and 2pm - 4pm, Monday to Thursday and 10am - 12noon on Fridays
Address: Southampton Family Information Service (FIS), Startpoint Sholing, Wood Close, Southampton, SO19 0SG

You may also like to see:

Blue Badge Scheme

Carers Assessments

Carers Assessments for parent carers of children (under 18)

Emergency planning

Southampton City Council Adult Health & Social Care

Southampton City Council Adult Social Care Charging Policy 2019

Southampton Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Information Advice and Support (IAS) Service

SCC Covid-19 helpline for those needing support