Each Home Counts logo

Financial help is available in a number of circumstances, with the focus very much on keeping warm for less.

If someone in your household is currently receiving benefits such as Income Support or Universal Credit, they could be eligible for support through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) a UK-wide scheme through which energy companies are obliged to install energy efficiency measures in the homes of those who need them most. This includes insulation and boiler replacement.

ECO is the main scheme for supporting energy efficiency improvements in British homes. All the larger energy supply companies are required to support a certain number of energy improvements in houses and flats, including insulation and some heating improvements.

Most grants are managed via your energy provider.  Click on this page to see all of the companies that provide support through ECO, but the support they offer and the households they support will be different.

Example: https://sse.co.uk/help/energy/energy-efficiency/discounted-energy-efficient-installations#item1

Visit this weblink to see grants for help with heating costs:

Who can benefit?

Most ECO work is aimed at homes where someone is getting some form of means tested benefit. You may qualify for this if you claim:

  • Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
  • Working or Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit

With many of these benefits, you will need to meet other requirements as well.

Some ECO work can be carried out even if there is no-one on benefits in the household. So you may be able to get help even if you’re not on this list.

What improvements can I get help with?

There is a long list of improvements that energy companies could support to meet their ECO targets but, in practice, most companies concentrate on some of the simpler measures. Many companies support cavity wall insulation and loft insulation, and it is often possible to get help with replacing an old boiler or other heating system.

Can I get improvements for free?

The energy company may offer to fit the improvement for free, or they may ask you to pay some of the cost yourself.

There is no need to pay for an assessment, and you can decide not to go ahead if they ask you to pay more than you can afford, or more than you want to.

How do I get it?

ECO is not a grant – no-one is going to pay you money for energy improvements you arranged yourself. To get support you will need to find an energy company or a scheme that is looking to carry out improvements in a home like yours.

If you think you might get help because someone in your house is on benefits, use the link below:


If you’re not getting any qualifying benefits, you’re most likely to get help if there is a specific scheme running in your area. Use the following link and enter your postcode to check.