Community health services provide a wide range of support delivered close to home and, where necessary, at home. The aim of these services is to:

  • support self-management so people with a health condition can make the most of their life
  • help people to maintain independence
  • prevent hospital admissions and the need for ongoing care, through prevention and early intervention
  • support discharge from hospital and other services to help people recover at home.

Community services include ongoing care for people with long term conditions, physiotherapy, community nursing and rehabilitation support to help people recover (e.g. after a fall or stroke).

The majority of community services in Southampton are provided by Solent NHS Trust, Southampton City Council and Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.

Health, social care and community and voluntary organisations are linked through Better Care Southampton, a joint plan with Southampton City Council. 

Southampton Community Independence Service
The Community Independence Service provides locality based multi-professional rehabilitation, reablement and care management working with people in their own homes and care settings who need help to stay independent.
They accept referrals for adults and older people aged 18 and above who are registered with a Southampton City GP and/or live within the Southampton city boundary.

Council grants
You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

A disabled facilities grant will be no more than £30,000 in England and £36,000 in Wales. However, your local authority can top up this up, as it can give you other help with home improvements. The amount of grant you get depends on your income and savings, unless the work is to meet the needs of a disabled person under 16, or in some cases, over 16 but under 19.

Funding care
Costs of paying for care and related expenditure may be met by the local authority if you qualify following a needs assessment.  Some housing associations also have funding available for home adaptations.  Details of how this is done and relevant information may be found through the links below: 

Other links:

Southampton City Council

Money Advice Service

Citizens Advice