In some areas, respite care is provided by your local authority after you've had a carer's assessment. In other areas, access to respite care is provided through a community care assessment for the person you're looking after.

It's therefore best to make sure that both of you are assessed. The local authority will consider what help you need and decide which community care services it will provide to help you.

Local authorities charge for some community care services. This information is available from your local authority's social services department.

Southampton City Council website:

Some relevant pages from the SCC website are listed below:

Children and Families Services

  • [email protected]
  • 0800 169 8833/023 8083 3014
  • Southampton Family Information Service (FIS), Startpoint Sholing, Wood Close, Southampton, SO19 0SG

Adult Services

  • [email protected]
  • 023 8083 3003
  • Adult Social Care, Southampton City Council, Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY

Parent Carers of Children with Additional Needs

The Buzz Network is a service for parent carers of children with additional needs. Through signing up to the buzz network you can have access to:

- Short Breaks from caring for your child/young person (subject to eligibility)

- Specialist playschemes for your child/young person

- After school clubs / stay and play sessions

- Regular newsletters including information on events and activities in the City for families with disabled children/young people

- A personal liaison coordinator for support and advice.

Visit the Buzz Network page for eligibility criteria or phone them on 0800 169 8833 (freephone - call charges may vary on mobile networks)